Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chair Seat Makeover




My daughter and son-in-law were given these white chairs with the ugliest blue velour like fabric on the seats. They have two girls, two cats and an indoor white bunny. Do you know what happens to these seats? Ugh! They are covered in hair and I received a call this morning saying that something had to be done as they keep trying to clean them and it's not working. I had purchased some decorator fabric a couple of years ago at a garage sale of course that is a beach theme and their house is a beach theme as they are always talking about moving to Hawaii or the beach.




I did not want the fabric ruined as it was very nice so I stopped at Joann's and purchased some plastic. I know this sounds bad but I did the chair bottoms so that they can eventually take the plastic off when the girls are older. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do with kids.
Here is one of the original chairs.



This shows that the bottom has been removed.  It's usually very easy to remove the bottom but on this one it had been screwed on with long screws so I had to use a drill to remove them.  Easy Easy!!
I cut the plastic :( and the fabric so that they would cover the bottom and give me a couple of inches on the back side to staple.  I made sure there were no wrinkles in the plastic or the fabric and I started by stapling one side.  Then I went to the opposite side and pulled the fabric tight and stapled.  On the other two sides I wrapped them like a gift and stapled.  Always making sure that the fabric is taut.

Here is one side stapled and I don't trim as no one is going to see it unless they turn your chair upside down.  If they do then they do.

Here is the finished chair.  I did 4 of these in less that 30 minutes.  The family went swimming so I did the chairs and left.  I did not screw them back in as my son-in-law can do that.  There was enough fabric left to do a wide table runner so I hope that my daughter will sew that.  A new dining area and the cost was:
Chairs - Free
Fabric -$5.00
Plastic - 3.50
Staples - Free as they had them
So for $8.50 they have 4 beautiful dining room chairs that won't get stained! 
This was a fun thing to do!!
Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll try to hook up to these two!!


http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/06/sunday-showcase-party-wuprinting.html
http://www.reinventedkb.com/2010/06/trash-to-treasure-tuesday.html

No comments: