Saturday, March 17, 2012

How To Use Dye Remover On Your Fabric

This is what I did last week-end.  I had seen on the Internet about using Rit Dye Remover to make your own fabric designs.  The first thing that I did was twist my fabric and then tie yarn in different areas.  This is like Tye-dying.  While I was doing this I had a big pot of water boiling in case a baby was coming. 

Use a plastic tub (I put this in my sink) and place the fabric in the tub.  I also had handy a spoon to push the cloth down.
Next you pour enough boiling water over the fabric to cover it. 

BE CAREFUL WITH BOILING WATER.

Next I had cut a small opening in the package of Rit Dye Remover and I sprinkled some on the fabric that was covered with hot water.  The fabric starts to change immediately. 

 I then turned the fabric over and sprinkled more on the back side.  I only left this working for a few seconds and then I used the spoon and dipped the fabric into COLD water to stop the process.

Because this is such a fast process I couldn't take photos.  Also, there is so much steam that I don't think this would have worked.

Another thing is you may want to open a window as the smell is Strong.
Once you can comfortably touch the fabric then cut the ties and see what designs you came up with.

 This one above is my first one and I'd love to know if you see what I see.  The first person who is correct will win an FQ (make sure I can reach you).
 The piece of fabric above was left in longer and the dye remover pulled out more black so there is a lot more tan.
 This fabric above I did not tie but left flat and sprinkled the dye remover and I like this one also.
 These I left in for almost 5 minutes.  They are okay.

I used a mild soap and washed each piece, rinsed in warm water and hung up to dry.  When the pieces were damp or dry I ironed them with a hot iron.

If there is a stiff feel to the fabric then I would wash it and rinse well before I tried this as I also tried a green fabric and the dye remover did not work.  This black fabric was a solid Kona Black.  I also tried this on a red Kona and it worked.  Not sure why I didn't take a photo of the red as the orange started coming out and it turned out well.

Contact me if you have any questions about what I did.  I'd love to hear about your experience and any advice that anyone has.  I want to use mine in an art quilt and it's fun to be able to say that the design in the fabric was made by me.

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing a Give Away so come back and sign up.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

That's a rabbit up there!