Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Janice Holt Giles

When I went to Kentucky a few weeks ago I finally made time to go and visit the home of author, Janice Holt Giles.  She married a man from KY and they lived there the rest of their lives.  To get to their place you drive maybe 10 - 12 miles along a two lane road and then you turn off on another road and then onto a very narrow road that leads to her home.

It's a log cabin that was moved here (I believe) and then they built onto it and there is a pond in front of the house and it's surrounded by a lot of woods.  Very quiet, peaceful and picturesque.

Road that goes off the main road

Rocks on the side of the road

Sign by the road that leads to her house

This is what you see when you drive up

This is the house and the little house on the right is I assume the caretakers house

This is the front porch

The swing on the front porch

View from the swing

Side porch that also looks onto the pond

Little caretakers house

The pond and their dock
 
Are there others out there that have read her books?  Been here?  Collect her books?
 
I have been saying for over 20 years that I'm going to go but I'm usually with others and they are in a hurry.  Finally I go alone and get to see it.  They have it open at times where you can tour the house but not on the day that I was there.
 
Have a great day!!
 

No comments: